Thursday, October 9, 2008

MAN vs. CITY

In the photo above: Steve is enjoying a serving of dove. Yum!

Attention readers of Press The Kingdom, this is Julie, Steve's tai tai (wife) posting today.

Steve has a favorite show on t.v. that he likes to watch it is called Man vs. Wild. On this show Bear Grylls the host is dropped off in the middle of no where and must hunt for food, find shelter and learn to adapt to his environment in order to survive as he finds his way back to civilization.

Many of you know that we are in ShenZen China and we are currently coming to the end of our third day. We have had an adventure to remember thus far. We have arrived at a place where no one speaks more than a few words of English, the food is not items that we would find on our American Chinese buffets and we don't blend in very well with the locals. The people of China have welcomed us and are being great host to the Trevinos. We are greatful to our new family in China.
I must say that Steve is the man to travel with. Steve has managed to adapt and survive in the environment God has brought us to. Within a few hours he was able to get online to update his blog, text home to see if all was well and download his pictures using a converter for all his electronics. He got me an iron and ironing board from the front desk of our hotel using hand signals. He turned the t.v. on in our room with the remote of strange Chinese writing on it and not to mention we discovered only 1 of 78 channels are in English. We bravely adventured out without our guide the other day and was able to eat, shop and find our way back home. Even after our taxi driver took us to the wrong place first. But Steve once again saved the day! I have enjoyed watching him use hand signals to communicate and learn to speak phrases in mandarin. It has been a fun and exciting adventure with Steve and his parents in China. I feel safe and secure knowing that Pastor Panda is leading the way. (Pastor Panda is the nick-name given to him because of his dark eyes) Let us see what tomorrow holds for us all.
Good night and God bless from ShenZen!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I cant believe you ate dove that is very gross.omg u r so crazzy! First guine pig now dove GROSS! Guess what i miss you!oh yeah park tha car in havard yard.You have to take me to Honk Honk next time you go(: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (:

Anonymous said...

heyy,
wow daddy how was it??? lol so i heard you got your starbuckes how did you order that lol!!! well you truly cant expierence a culture until you expierence there food so i say you really know china now! maybe next time you can take us!!! :)So i hope everything is going good over there and i know you will have many many storys to tell everyone!
Well we all miss you guys and cant wait til yall come home!!

LUV YA
AUDRIE

Jessica said...

This is great! I knew you guys could do it with our fearless leader Pastor PO (Kung-fu Panda)! It is awesome to hear of your adventures in China- keep us updated on all the interesting sights, smells, and sounds. I am vicariously living through you guys right now! God is using you guys for good in a place where you are sooo out of you comfort zone and this is amazingly awesome! Here's to day three- we are counting the days till ya'll come home! Hey Jules it's almost your birthday- woo hoo! How many people can say they spent their birthday in China? SO COOL!

Love you,
Jess

Steve Trevino said...

Hey Alissbiss, you make me laugh girl! You are so full of jokes all the time, I love it. FYI- dove is not gross.

Yeah Audrie, I found starbucks. I had my radar on. We walked into a mall and I asked a security guard, "Do you have a Starbucks here?, S-T-A-R-B-U-C-K-S??" He just looked at me and blinked. We walked into the mall and there it was, just a few feet away, so I ordered my espresso and enjoyed it! As I was drinking it the security guard walked by again and I pointed at the sign and said "STARBUCKS!" to him. Your mom just laughed at me because she said it was not the same security guard. He just looked at me strange and walked off. I got my espresso so thats all that mattered.

Oh, yeah- in the photo of me notice what I am holding in my chop sticks...it's the head!

Anonymous said...

Julie, you go girl! That was a funny entry! Seeing you all on the blog, witnessing, teaching, eating, playing, is quite a blessing for us. We are glad you chose to include us in your journey. God Bless, and may love always guide you.

NMW said...

OMG!!! IT IS THE HEAD! I COULDN'T TELL TILL YOU MENTIONED IT AND I HAD TO GO BACK AND TAKE A CLOSER LOOK. PASTOR YOU ARE SO FUNNY.

THANKS YOU GUYS FOR KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH US, FEELS LIKE WE'RE THERE LAUGHING WITH YOU.

BUT HONESTLY WHO CAME UP WITH "PASTOR PANDA?"......

HAVE ANOTHER GREAT DAY GUYS. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL.
GOD BLESS.

Maribel said...

I think that Pastor Panda fits you well!! I had to enlarge the picture to make sure that I was seeing the right thing... yeah, I was..... the head!! you are one brave cookie!! So Julie, did you have some dove as well? We miss you guys... hurry back..lots of love!!

Diana said...

I have to agree with Alyssa on this one...dove does not sound very appetizing...lol!!! You guys sound like your having a great time over there!!! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!!! We miss you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

hello pastor joe steve mom carmen and julie.I saw all your pictures and audrie has been showing me all the places you have been.Its so amazing to see how the lord has taken you all to many different places you probably never dreamed of, proclaming Gods word to all nations. You all are in my prayers everyday.

missing you,
love sister stephaine