Tuesday, February 12, 2008

BLESSED TO BE A BLESSING

I heard a great phrase the other day, ‘Blessed to be a blessing’. I think that is a great way to look at our life and resources. It makes me think of my friend Cyrus who pastors in Kampala, Uganda who doesn’t even have plumbing in his church, Dominion Temple. Yet, he organizes conferences where hundreds of village pastors come and receive rare, valuable Biblical teachings, which equip them for their pastorate. He gives away his personal suits and brings bicycles to be used as “ministry vehicles” for visitations and meetings. He does all of this at his own expense because in his words, “They are not as blessed and we are”. In the Untied States we hear a prosperity gospel taught as if we are not already prosperous. As if God has not already given us more than enough and more than we need. I believe when we see ourselves as blessed; it inspires us to be a blessing to others. A lifestyle of generosity is developed from a mentality of abundance. You cannot give what you go not have. So a position of giving is far better than a position of receiving. There is a local cafe in Africa that produces it’s own coffee. It is their attempt to boost the economy and become self-sufficient. On the back of their coffee can it reads, ‘Africa needs trade not aid to fight poverty’. Someone understood that a shift in mentality would produce a shift in position. It was Jesus who taught this principle.

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ Acts 20:35



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Lisa Bevere's "Fight like a girl", she used a tactic that the people are using there: To fight with what you have in your hands. LIke the woman who just knew she would die, until she used what she had, in this case, oil, which miraculously never ran out! May the people of Africa be blessed with more and more, using what they have in their hands.

ginger edwards said...

Steve and julie,

I have spent the last hour reading your bolg and looking at you pictures. i miss ya'll and love ya'll so much. things are great with me and i owe my life to you. i have been clean and sober for almost 3 years now and some days are better than others but with gods love and grace in my life i am still going stong. i am living proof that you ar changing lives. i am writing to you on a laptop that was gien to me by a member of my church. how cool is that. blessed by the best and highly favored. ginger!

Anonymous said...

"It is more blessed to give than to receive."....it couldn't be more true!!! As my walk with God has progressed I have found that giving illuminated this warm feeling through out my heart...I can't help but feel imidiately blessed to help others!! Only through God's glory this is possible...thank you for putting compation and love in my heart Lord!!!

Steve Trevino said...

Hey Ginger, great to hear from you! It's wonderful that you are still on the right track. Keep it up. Hope to see you soon. How did you come across the blog?

ginger edwards said...

hey pastor steve and julie,

i was so glad to get your reply. i have sent email to the victory address and the oen in merida but with no reply. i got your blog off of the newsletter. i loves the pictures of the girls they have gotten so big. i miss everyone at the home so much. i work at a small upscale bakery and cafe one mile from my house. i have been there for one year. as you can see that i just type. i hate proper caps and all that jazz. i have tryed sending comments and other blogs but i am still learning about blogging. i just end up losing all the blogs i spend 20 minutes writing. i am used to just emailing. i am so blessed to have come to the home. i owe my lofe to ya'll. tell teresa and frank and anthony and mo and lorraine that i am fine and i send my love! i don't socialize with anyone but family and a few people from church. i think of the home daily adn tell everyone i can about haow my life was changed through your love and support. i love you all so much. i sometimes feel that the home is a thousand miles away from conroe.. i would love to come and give my testimony sometime. all my love and gratitude. ginger