Sunday, February 3, 2008

Greater Good VS. Business as Usual

While sitting at Bush Airport in Houston next to my wife Julie, waiting for our flight to Lima, my mind drifts to all that I leave behind. Leaving my daughters, even though I am blessed with a great caretaker for them while we travel, is hard. I’ll miss Audrie’s last basketball game of the season, and another one of Alyssa’s halftime cheerleading shows. I’ll miss serving and ministering to my church congregation. I’ll miss everyone gathering tonight to watch the Superbowl as the Patriots try to achieve pigskin perfection. I will miss counseling, encouraging and praying with the men of the church. At least I won’t miss Julie; she is peacefully by my side texting more words per minute then seems humanly possible.

How do you decide which activities to give yourself to and which to reject? I asked an influential pastor this question once. His answer has shaped my ministry paradigm ever since. We have to decide which actions add more value to the Kingdom, he told me. Sometimes staying home with the family and attending to my first ministry is paramount. Then there are times when we must weigh the greater good against business as usual. Accepting an invitation to be commissioned as a minister to men, by one of South Americas leading pastors under the banner of Christian Men’s Network Worldwide in front of my wife, parents and key church leaders from around the world holds a certain significance that cannot be ignored. As a leader of men in my church and city I recognize the momentum builder this event will be for me as well as those around me. It’s almost as if I can hear the sound of the wench being cranked. The catapult is being set for a launch that will send me into flight, not knowing when or where I will land.

But quickly my mind is pulled back into the moment by the ‘All passengers boarding’ call announced loudly over the speaker. I will miss many things in my lifetime because of these calls. But I pray that in the end, the greater good has been served. Lord, that my life would add value to Your kingdom, and that those around me would understand. I know that God will be everything that I cannot and that His grace will abound.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of my Pastors!!! They go, way and beyond, for the Kingdom of God. I love you all!!

Steve Trevino said...

I probably love you too, whoever you are.

Anonymous said...

Just a word of encouragement, keep your eyes on the mission God has called you on. I understand that the five fold ministry consist of more than just one congregation. There is only one church and one God. It would be wrong for us to stunt growth by walking in selfish ways. No, I understand why you are on another mission and I stand behind you 100% even when you return. Lot of Love

Anonymous said...

WHO?? JULIE TEXT..... NO WAY...
LOL!!

no more me said...

You right smack dab in the middle of god's will my brotha from anotha motha...my pastor with the same master...my missionary without a dictionary...that's all I got.

We're prayin for you both. I can't wait to get my sword so we can fence!!!

Love you man.

Anonymous said...

Pastor, I am grateful to have you and your family in our lives. No matter how far the Lord takes you, we all know that you would always have us in your heart and prayers.

Because you have followed where God is Leading, the men of our church have grown so close to God that the Precious Spirit of God has flown into their families. It is amazing to have God's order in our church and our home.

As for your girls, I pray that they will always see how blessed they are to have a Daddy like you. As a mom, I see that those two precious young ladies are greatly loved by their Dad and Mom.

And yes, the Super Bowl Game wasn't the same without you all here!!! We had plenty of food though (smile). God Bless

Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU SOOOOO MUCH BUT I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE THESE KIND OF OPERTUNITES!!!I AM SO PROUD TO CALL YOU MY DAD BUT ALSO MY PASTOR!SO WHEN EVER I REALLY START MISSING YOU I JUST REMIND MYSELF THAT ITS ALL BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU DO THATS HOW I HAVE SUCH A WONDERFUL LIFE!!!

LUV YA,
AUDRIE
cant wait til
monday!!!LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Audrie, I am so proud of YOU. I can't think of another thing in the world a father would want then to have as great a relationship with his daughter like you and I have. Thank you for being such a good daughter.